About Sakinah Birth
The word Sakinah in the Arabic language relates to calm, tranquility and serenity.
A little about Jihan
I am a Certified Consulting Hypnotist, childbirth educator with HypnoBirthing International, and a doula, living in the Greater Houston Area.
Interest in Birth work and birth justice came about organically for me after experiencing two births with different healthcare providers and settings. I learned how significant and impactful my choices were.
During my first pregnancy, fear, anxiety and uncertainly played a tremendous role, all the way until postpartum recovery.
I believed these things were inevitable and mistakenly believed I did not have options.
Fast forward to my second pregnancy and birth – the experience was monumentally different! I took the time to search for a healthcare provider who shared similar beliefs about childbirth. I felt safe, I felt heard and was provided the proper education and guidance my family and I needed. For the first time, I learned about the power of informed-consent; I learned the power of communication with my healthcare provider and I knew my relationship with my healthcare provider was an indicator of how the birth could play out.
Both of my experiences have shaped who I am today and have inspired me to educate others in this field. I love what I do and am so invested in giving women and their families better outcomes in pregnancy, birth and beyond.
The philosophy behind Sakinah Birth is simple: strive for positive cultural change within the Houston Birth Community. Positive cultural change comes through empowerment and empowerment happens when parents are informed and supported. When families make informed decisions and are given support, they realize their full potential!
I love to learn! As a childbirth professional who is passionate about evidence-based education, human rights in childbirth, and cultural humility, I strongly believe in expanding knowledge on various topics – one cannot ever know enough! My continuing education includes:
- HypnoBirthing Professional Doula Training
- The VBAC Link Doula Training
- CAPPA Postpartum Doula Training
- Stillbirthday Doula Training
- CAPPA New Parent Educator Training
- PSI’s Perinatal Mood and Anxiety Disorders Training
- Traditional Postpartum Practices Training
- Birth Monoply’s Know Your Rights Training
- Hypnotherapy for Fertility Training
- Acupressure for Birth Professionals
My memberships include the following:
- HypnoBirthing International
- National Association of Transpersonal Hypnotherapists
- Evidence-Based Birth
- International Certification Board for Clinical Hypnotherapists (ICBCH)
- International Cesarean Awareness Network (ICAN)
I am also in the process of completing a 90-hour lactation education program, and the sciences of herbalism and aromatherapy.