About Sakinah Birth
The word Sakinah in the Arabic language relates to calm, tranquility and serenity.
A Little About Jihan:
Welcome! I am a Certified Consulting Hypnotist, childbirth educator, and doula living in the Greater Houston Area. Birth work and birth justice were gradual interests to me. After experiencing two births with different healthcare providers and settings, I learned how significant and impactful were my choices. During my first pregnancy, fear, anxiety and uncertainly played tremendous roles all the way until postpartum recovery. I believed these things were inevitable and mistakenly believed I did not have options. Fast forward to the second pregnancy and birth – the experience was monumentally different! I took the time to search for a healthcare provider who shared similar beliefs about childbirth, felt safe, heard and was provided the proper education and guidance my family and I needed. For the first time, I learned about the power of informed-consent; I learned the power of communication with my healthcare provider and I knew my relationship with my healthcare provider was an indicator of how the birth could play out. Both of my experiences have shaped who I am today and have inspired me to become involved in in this line of work.
The philosophy behind Sakinah Birth is simple: strive for positive cultural change within the Houston Birth Community. Positive cultural change comes through empowerment and empowerment happens when parents are informed and supported. When families make informed decisions and are given support, they realize their full potential!
I love to learn! As a childbirth professional who is passionate about evidence-based education, human rights in childbirth, and cultural humility, I strongly believe in expanding knowledge on various topics – one cannot ever know enough! My continuing education includes:
- HypnoBirthing Professional Doula Training
- The VBAC Link Doula Training
- CAPPA Postpartum Doula Training
- Stillbirthday Doula Training
- CAPPA New Parent Educator Training
- PSI’s Perinatal Mood and Anxiety Disorders Training
- Traditional Postpartum Practices Training
- Birth Monoply’s Know Your Rights Training
- Hypnotherapy for Fertility Training
- Acupressure for Birth Professionals
My memberships include the following:
- HypnoBirthing International
- National Association of Transpersonal Hypnotherapists
- Evidence-Based Birth
- International Certification Board for Clinical Hypnotherapists (ICBCH)
- International Cesarean Awareness Network (ICAN)
I am also in the process of completing a 90-hour lactation education program, and the sciences of herbalism and aromatherapy.